|COLONEL DAVID A PARR|
Colonel David A. Parr is the Vice Commander, 65th Air Base Wing, Lajes Field, Azores, Portugal. The 65th Air Base Wing enables the Atlantic Air Bridge and provides support to U.S. forces operating throughout the Atlantic Ocean area. The Wing operates a strategically located major air base and a logistics seaport at a remote location and maintains the health, morale, welfare and discipline of roughly 3,000 U.S. and host nation personnel and dependents. Colonel Parr interfaces extensively with the U.S. Consulate, host nation government and the Portuguese Air Force. He also oversees 14 Wing Agency Chiefs.
Before his assignment to Lajes, Colonel Parr was at the Inter-American Defense College as the Division Chief of Course Evaluations, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington D.C.
Colonel Parr earned his commission in 1989, graduating with honors from the University of Hawaii with a Bachelor of Arts Degree in Political Science. He was also a distinguished graduate from University of Hawaii's Air Force Reserve Officer Training Corps. Colonel Parr has served in numerous leadership positions at the wing, major command, and Air Staff levels and is a graduated squadron commander and combat veteran, most recently returning from Afghanistan where he led the Joint Air Traffic Management Cell in Kabul, Afghanistan from July 2010 through February 2011.
Colonel Parr was born in Middletown, Ohio and moved as a child between Tokyo, Japan, Williamsburg, Ohio, and Honolulu, Hawaii.
1. May 90 - Jun 90 Student, Basic Air Traffic Control Course, Keesler AFB, Mississippi
2. Jun 90 - Nov 91 Air Traffic Control Officer Training Program, Tyndall AFB, Florida
3. Nov 91 - Mar 94 Commander, Airfield Operations Flight, Lajes Field, Azores, Portugal
4. Mar 94 - Apr 94 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Alabama
5. May 94 - Apr 97 Commander, Airfield Operations Flight, Howard AFB, Panama
6. Apr 97 - Apr 99 Chief, Air Combat Command Airfield Management, Langley AFB, Virginia
7. Apr 99 - Apr 01 Chief, Plans and Programs, HQ PACAF/DOR, Hickam AFB, Hawaii
8. Apr 01 - Jun 03 Director of Operations, 35th Ops Support Squadron, Misawa AB, Japan
9. Jul 03 - Jun 04 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Alabama
10. Jun 04 - Jun 05 Air Traffic Control Program Element Monitor, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington D.C.
11. Jun 05 - Jun 06 Executive Officer to the Director, Air Force Operations and Training,
Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington D.C.
12. Jun 06 - Jul 08 Commander, 72nd Operations Support Squadron, Tinker AFB, Oklahoma
13. Jul 08 - Jul 09 National War College, Fort McNair, Washington D.C.
14. July 09 - May 2011 Chief of Evaluations, Inter-American Defense College, Fort McNair, Washington D.C.
15. May 2011 -- present, Vice Commander, 65th Air Base Wing, Lajes Field, Azores, Portugal
1989 Bachelor of Arts in Political Science (with Honors), University of Hawaii at Manoa
1994 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Alabama
1996 Master of Arts in Public Administration, Troy State University, Alabama
2001 Air Command and Staff College (Correspondence)
2004 Master of Arts in Military Operational Art & Science, ACSC, Maxwell AFB, Alabama
2006 Air War College (Correspondence)
2009 Master of Science in National Security Strategy, National War College, Washington D.C.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS:
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Joint Service Achievement Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal
Joint Meritorious Unit Award
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with 2 devices
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION:
Second Lieutenant 14 May 1989
First Lieutenant 10 Nov 1991
Captain 1 Dec 1993
Major 1 Feb 2001
Lieutenant Colonel 1 May 2005
Colonel 1 Aug 2010